Dunedin’s ornate railway station is considered one of the world’s great railway stations. It was the city’s largest public building of its time and is memorable for its ornate jumble of styles, variously described as Flemish Baroque-inspired, Gothic, Edwardian and Victorian.
Architect George Troup’s design makes a striking contribution to the city’s skyline, with some dubbing the building the ‘world’s largest gingerbread house’, nevertheless, some Dunedinites thought the lavatories too luxurious. It was built in 1906, when rail neared its zenith, and the architecture reflects the confidence in rail, which grew to the stage where 100 trains departed the station each day.
The only passenger train now regularly using the station is the award-winning Taieri Gorge Railway service. Today, the station houses a restaurant, art gallery, the New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame – and each year the platform becomes the runway for the acclaimed iD Dunedin Fashion Week.